THE BAY COUNTRY GENTLEMEN HAVE SUSPENDED CURRENT REHERSALS\MEETINGS TILL FURTHER NOTICE IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19... please check back soon for future updates.
Please Stay safe and practice proper Social Distancing\ Protection Practices.
********** A word from The chapter president about drive in rehearsal **********
We thank Barry Gabler for putting together what proved to be a very successful 'Drive-in Rehearsal' test. The new equipment which allowed safe singing from our cars worked very well and only required minor tweeks. We sang a number of songs from our current repertoire and a few christmas songs both with and without accompaniment of tracks to shake off the 'rust'. Personally, I thought we sounded best on our own with Barry directing,
* Setting up and breaking down was very quick and easy. About 5-10 minutes for three people after Barry had made all the equipment adjustments.
* The parking lot space worked well.
* There was no equipment 'feedback'
* There was no noticeable voice delay.
* The hand mics were very easy to use. Barry had it set up so that Leads were on one set (bank of 4), Basses on another and Tenor. Bari on the third so he could balance the parts.
* Our sound coming back through our FM car radios was clear. In fact, it was neat to hear everyone's voice blending as opposed to just the voices around you. Like listening to yourself from the audience vs, from the risers.
* Because the mics were held close there was negligible, if any sound picked up from the car motors running when we sang. So a cold day should not be an issue,
In short, we anticipate that any issues moving forward will be minor and easy to overcome with all the input that is now available. Other groups that have been doing the 'Drive-in Singing" with great success, not only for themselves but also including many singers from their community that have joined in.
And most importantly, I felt very safe using all the established COVID guidelines for singers. In my opinion, it is safer than going to the store.
Barry will be sending out a rehearsal plan for our next meeting along with a list of music to work on in advance. We are also going to purchase an additional bank of 4 microphones with the money Barry saved on the initial equipment, that was purchased within the approved budget for this project. That will cover the 4 parts separately and allow for 12 singers, plus Barry has extra personal equipment if needed.
SO, please plan to join us for our next meeting! Check it out, and leave if and when you want to. But, do give it a try and see if it is not the best opportunity to start singing again safely
Again, many thanks to Barry!
********** END UPDATE **********
The Bay Country Gentlemen are honored that you would take the time to visit our web site.
As an organization we seek to be an ever-growing family of Barbershop style singers, leading the cause of encouraging vocal acapella music in this community.
The Harford County Chapter, SPEBSQSA, aspires to provide activities, musical leadership and teaching resources essential to offering the opportunity to sing barbershop harmony to every male in our area. The chapter also desires to share this unique art form with a variety of audiences as often as is reasonable, and thus strive to preserve the heritage of barbershop quartet and chorus singing for generations.
Support for this chapter has been provided by Maryland State Arts Council through Harford County Cultural Arts Board.